Lt. Dan Marcou brings us another view of violence in Chicago and how we can affect it and what impact the gun violence has had on Chicago’s officers.
His article: Despite ‘no-snitch’ rule, cops clear cases leads in by commending our dedicated officers’ spirit in the face of adversity: citizens and crime victims who will not cooperate and the horrific and increasingly brazen attacks on cops.
Lt. Marcou offers up 6 key reasons why you need to be involved in your neighborhood:
1. No criminal can operate openly on a street corner unless the neighborhood tolerates it.
2. No neighborhood is fit for a child to be raised in when criminals are allowed by neighbors to operate freely in that neighborhood.
3. Police are less effective without citizen cooperation.
4. If a community allows criminals to intimidate them into silence, they will eventually will become prisoners of their own fear.
5. With total community backing, the police can send criminals packing.
6. A criminal commits no crimes in a community during the years he is locked away in a prison.
He points out that Chicago police have cleared 30% of the homicides and 18% of the less-than-fatal shootings. Although this may seem to be a low number, Lt. Marcou believes that this is an “incredible” result considering the code of silence that surrounds violent crime in Chicago.
After a recap of the terrible loss of three officers in the last three months he leaves us with this call to action:
The citizens of those neighborhoods turning a blind eye to the unchecked violence of ruthless gang bangers must decide if they want their children to thrive in the neighborhoods the community chooses to change for the better, or cower in the neighborhoods the gangs destroy.
One thing is certain. While the citizens of Chicago struggle with these issues, thousands of officers of the Chicago Police Department will strap on their duty belt and pin on their badge each day and hit the means streets of the “Windy City” often beleaguered, ever indomitable.
Stay safe, stay strong, stay positive!